LISTEN TO AUDIO OF THIS CONTENT
We certainly understand the attraction of day drinking, getting a little “buzz-on” during the daytime hours. Day drinking can be done at a ballgame or a trip to the park or beach. Baseball, as with any other sport or, for that matter, any leisurely activity taking place during daylight hours, may seem to go better with a little “booze-buzz”. There’s something that feels just a little bit rebellious about consuming alcohol while the sun is still high in the sky. That said, there are some good reasons why you don’t see or hear advertisements in favor of “day drinking”.
It can be simply defined as the consuming alcohol during daylight hours. Here are 5 good reasons why day drinking might not be the best way to spend your afternoon:
1) Cracking a “cold one” for a two o’clock kickoff makes it more likely a person will binge drink, defined by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as five or more drinks in one sitting for men and four for women. Weekend “drinking warriors” might not see themselves as hardened alcoholics, but their bodies, over a period of time, don’t really care how they view themselves. Practiced regularly, binge drinking can lead to liver disease, high blood pressure, alcohol poisoning and a host of other health damaging side effects, like a compromised immune system.
2) College day-drinkers are more likely than any other demographic to experience higher rates of sexual or violent assault, sexually transmitted diseases, failing out of school and issues with depression. An estimated 1,825 college students between the ages of 18 to 24 die each year due to alcohol related accidents.
3) “Hair of the dog,” as it’s known, treating an alcohol hangover from the day before with more alcohol, can create a cycle that leads to alcohol use disorder. In 2012, research suggests that some 17 million people in the U.S. met the criteria for this diagnosis, with nearly one million of those being adolescents and young people.
4) Sun-worshippers at the beach must be extra careful about dehydration if they’re drinking. Not only does the sun zap the body’s water supply, alcohol, which is a diuretic, adds its intensity, which can lead to serious health risks. Those lounging in the sun are more likely to consume more alcohol as means to relieve the heat and, as a result, get drunker faster.
5) The long day-drink inevitably runs into nighttime drinking. Steady alcohol consumption throughout the day and night has the potential to affect people’s mental and physical health, not just the day after, but for several days proceeding a full day’s drinking. Taking in that much alcohol actually traumatizes the body and mind’s ability to recuperate in a 24-hour period. A three or four day hangover is no laughing matter. It impairs people’s ability to function at work or school, problem solve and regulate their emotions as they would normally.
Day drinking is something that you will do in college. If you are not in college you might want to sip a few cocktails in the afternoons on your patio. Day drinking is nothing like drinking in the night when you want to go out for a fun night. With day drinking, you have to drink responsibly to avoid snoozing face down in a park at dinnertime. So to avoid early fade and keep your stamina up, below are pieces of wisdom from people who know better to help you day drink without bringing shame to yourself.
Everyone with a little bit of experience will tell you the trick is to have a glass of water between drinks. Alcohol is classified as a diuretic what this means is that it makes you pee more often and this can leave the body dehydrated. This is why most people experience a hangover. Aim to drink one glass of water for each alcoholic beverage you drink. It might be hard, you might pee a lot but it is crucial to stay hydrated to maintain your stamina.
Drinking on an empty stomach is a recipe for disaster, it can lead to blackouts or even blood poisoning. You must eat at every stage and not snacks but have some “real” food. Start your day with a hearty breakfast. Carbohydrates are your friend, start with oatmeal or whole wheat pancakes. You can also add an egg or ham. Proteins take longer to digest they will, therefore, stay with you for longer. Breakfast is not enough; you must keeping eating throughout the day. Food in your stomach will slow down the rate at which alcohol is absorbed and keep you feeling full encouraging you to drink at a slower rate.
Choice of Drink
A pint of beer and a shot of tequila will affect you differently because of the alcohol content. Beer has lower alcohol content making it the best choice for day drinking. Stay away from hard liquor like whiskey and spirits there is always the risk of drinking more within a short period of time. Stay clear of anything that is too sweet. The quality of liquor will contribute to how bad your hangover will be. You must, therefore, decide if drinking the cheapest booze on the menu is worth suffering for later in the day.
Taking a breather is one of the best things you can do especially if you have some plans in the night. If you have not followed the tricks given above chances are high that you will be too intoxicated and you might pass out possibly missing out on all the fun at night. But if you stayed hydrated, had a healthy meal and stayed clear of the cheap liquor an hours sleep could help your body re-energize gaining back the energy lost from the day’s activities.
Getting tipsy during the day is a little joy most people love in the summer but you must be smart about it. You do not want to miss all the fun in the night or embarrass yourself in front of your peers. Before retiring to bed drink some more water to avoid any hangovers in the morning.
Our nation’s history is riddled with all sorts of customs and traditions that society learned were harmful and dutifully abandoned thereafter. For those struggling with addiction to drugs or alcohol, it’s especially important to avoid daytime environments that can bring on triggers and cravings. Remember, just because day drinking has taken it’s place in the pantheon of American pastimes doesn’t mean it’s a good idea.
Give us your feedback about this page here