Alcoholism and drug addiction are family diseases. What that means is that alcohol and drug abuse effect the whole family. An active alcoholic or drug addict will eventually destroy themselves and everything in their world. Alcohol and drug abuse have severe negative consequences on the entire family. No active alcoholic or addict can maintain any type of healthy relationships. They will eventually lose everything, including their life. There are things the family can do to take care of themselves, and it is important to take the steps to protect themselves from the consequences of the person abusing drugs or alcohol.
How to Cope With the Alcoholism in the Family
Today, family recovery is a reality for millions of Americans. Recovery has become the most powerful way to break the cycle of alcoholism and addiction in the family. The family of an active addict or alcoholic can take steps to protect themselves. Here are some things to consider doing to minimize the effects from the affected person.
- Join a support group, like Al-Anon or Nar-Anon
- Consider doing an intervention
- Learn all you can about Addiction and Alcoholism
- Detachment and Take Responsibility for Yourself
- Stop Old Behaviors
- Build Strength in the Family
- Engage in Personal and Family Activities
Facts About Drugs and Alcohol in America
Here are some interesting facts about drug and alcohol abuse. These statistics might help some people understand they are not alone.
- Three out of ten adults report that drinking has been a cause of trouble in their family
- 20 million Americans, 1 in every 10 adults, drinks alcohol daily
- One in ten Americans currently has an alcohol problem
- Few of the more than 18 million U.S. alcohol abusers ever receive treatment
- Make an Appointment with a Professional Family Therapist
Drug and alcohol abuse among young people is worse than it has ever been. Underage drinking, smoking marijuana and using medication has reached epidemic proportions.
Consider doing a family intervention, click here for more information
Yes, we are big believers in the power of taking this proven effective step towards facing and addressing the problem, squarely. For more information about how to do an intervention, click here Alcohol and drug abuse are life-threatening, debilitating problems. We suggest trying to get them help, before it’s too late. And the best most effective method is what is known as a family intervention.
Consider Attending a Free Support Group Called “Alanon”
Alanon is a support group for people in relationships with addicts or alcoholics. Let other people who have been through similar issues and circumstances help you.
Here is a link to Alanon page
Attend 6 meetings before deciding whether it is right for you – It is Free.
Video About Impact of Alcoholism
NCADD – family-disease-and-recovery
Give us your feedback about this page, here