Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Someone may not be an alcoholic, but they still have a drinking problem. Alcoholism is now referred to as Alcohol Use Disorder.
These 12 questions will help determine whether there is a drink problem.
This is NOT a substitute for getting a professional assessment and evaluation.
Answer each question honestly. Keep track of the Yes and No answer for each question.
Alcoholic Screening Test
Determining whether a person has a drinking problem or not can be difficult. This Test is a fairly good method of screening for alcoholism. Once someone takes the test, and the results indicate they may an alcohol problem, further testing and evaluation should be done by a professional.
Answer each question, “yes” or “no”
- – Do you ever talk about “quitting” or “cutting back”?
- – Does your life basically revolve around drinking?
- – Hhave you ever had memory loss from drinking (blackouts)?
- – Do most of your friends drink a lot?
- – Do you always have liquor in the house?
- – Do you look forward to the next time you can drink?
- – Do you suffer from hangovers?
- – Do you often drink more than you planned?
- – Does being around people who don’t drink makes you uncomfortable?
- – You have ever “stopped” for a few days just to prove you don’t have a problem?
- – Do you drive even though you know you have had a lot to drink?
- – Do you rarely go a week without drinking?
Add up the “YES” scores and match them to these results
Total “Yes” Answers:
0 – 2 = No Serious Problem
3 – 5 = Possible Problem Drinker
6 or more = Suggestion Seeking a Professional Evaluation
Give us your feedback about this page, here